[Web4lib] Modeling online interview pathways

Rowan Brownlee R.Brownlee at library.usyd.edu.au
Wed Mar 1 18:30:51 EST 2006

Hello all,

I'm looking for a tool that might be used to model pathways in an online
interview.

We are investigating options for development of an online information
service.  One of the user interfaces would be in the form of an interview.
 People would be asked a series of questions of various types such as
multiple choice (with single or multiple selection options) and freetext
input. The interview would be used in conjunction with a content store to
generate documents customised to individual user needs (based on responses
to interview questions).

Part of the planning/design process involves modeling interview pathways.
I can envisage some sort of visual tool that would let me drop questions
onto a workspace, apply & modify sequencing rules.  It sounds something
like a flowchart application but I don't know if other related modeling
applications are available.

I'd also be interested in hearing about any existing online tools that
people are using to provide this sort of tailored information service.  Do
you know of organisations using interview/survey tools to generate
documents made up of discrete bits of information?

I am interested in this sort of application as it relates to generating
tailored guidelines information for digitisation & digital preservation
projects. (e.g. A collection of botanic slides, that need to be
searchable, need to be accessible for at least X years, need to be able to
be used in online teaching & learning & high end print publications - what
do I need to know?).

However I imagine that this sort of service - combining a question bank &
content store could be used in other areas (e.g. generating tailored
copyright guidelines).

--
Rowan Brownlee
Digital Repository Project Analyst