[Web4lib] Social Networking for Bookworms

Carl Feucht cwf at mac.com
Tue Jun 27 12:01:59 EDT 2006

Tim,

Hey! Wow! Are you ever Johnny-on-the-spot. Kudos. ;-)

My second paragraph was inspired by the below quote.

Quote: "LibraryThing developed socially as inevitable similarities
cropped up in users' collections. Those overlaps, combined with a
search algorithm crafted by Mr. Spalding, spawned LibraryThing's own
book-recommendation engine, which can generate dozens of undiscovered
titles for a member's consideration. Readers who own Harry Potter
titles, for instance, might be advised to try the works of Madeleine
L'Engle, author of 'A Wrinkle in Time.' "

Upon reading that, my imagination ran away from me, to a place where
the local public library overlapped the LibraryThing user base. It
dreamed that if local public libraries were to join LibraryThing they
could begin to broadcast their latest acquisitions to card carrying
LibraryThing patrons when the algorithm matched a users' tag cloud of
interest, represented by what was already in their collection.

But, I suppose it could also just as easily work in the direction you
suggest. An Acquisitions Librarian could correlate their local
LibraryThing communities' tag cloud of interest to their collection
strength [or weakness].

Something on the order of an Acquisitions Mgr. ruminating thus: "Wow,
I just discovered 75% of my LibraryThing adults have 6 or more titles
in Heroic Fantasy. But the library hasn't ordered a new title in
Heroic Fantasy for twelve months. Maybe I ought to address that
interest in the next order..."

So tell me, is either situation within the realm of the possible?

Carl