[Web4lib] next generation opac mailing list

David Dorman dorman at indexdata.com
Tue Jun 6 11:08:39 EDT 2006

At 09:31 AM 06/06/2006, Marc Truitt wrote:
>David J. Fiander wrote:
>>The only thing wrong with this idea is the name of the list.  I
>>would read it as "non-governmental organizations 4 lib".
>Well, that risk is always going to be present.  For example, there
>is that other well-know discussion list...
>
>         "office of strategic services 4 lib"
>
>C'est la vie.
>
>- mt

A cute answer, but not convincing.  NGO, as a well-known acronym
meaning non-governmental organization, is much more associated with
libraries and much more likely to be misconstrued by librarians than
OSS.  The Office of Strategic Services does not exactly come to mind
when OSS and libraries are written of together.

David

>--
>Marc Truitt
>Assistant Dean for Systems                      Voice  : 713-743-8979
>University of Houston Libraries                 e-mail : mtruitt at uh.edu
>114 University Libraries                        fax    : 713-743-9811
>Houston, TX 77204-2000                          cell   : 713-201-0351
>
>Paranoia strikes deep
>Into your life it will creep
>It starts when you're always afraid
>You step out of line, the man come and take you away...
>                                        --Buffalo Springfield

David Dorman
US Marketing Manager, Index Data
52 Whitman Ave.