[Web4lib] Digital Libraries: Integrating Content & Systems.

Mark Dahl dahl at lclark.edu
Fri Jul 28 20:34:02 EDT 2006

Some of you might be interested in this recently published book that
I co-authored with Mike Spalti and Kyle Banerjee.  Or you might find
it useful reading for managers and or other colleagues to whom you
need to explain your work.

The theme of the book is the integration of web-based library
services.  It puts great emphasis on the power that generic web
technologies and standards (such as XML, web programming, open source
databases, etc.) give libraries to create integrated and customized,
web based services.  Rather than provide technical how-to, it gives a
broad overview of the technologies and associated issues encountered
by any modern library with a web presence.  Topics include standards,
web programming, authentication/identity management, integrated
library systems, digital asset management, electronic resource
management, as well as staffing and organizational issues associated
with digital library technology.  Web 2.0 themes are developed across
the chapters.

(Incidentally, the book weighs in on this question of using an
externally hosted server for library web applications--generally in
favor of it, but I have to say as more of an abstract idea than
something we've observed at many libraries.)

Here is the bibliographic information and a link to the book on
Amazon.  We're hoping to get people reading the book before the
topics in it go too out of date!

Mark Dahl, Kyle Banerjee, & Michael Spalti.  Digital Libraries:
Integrating Content & Systems.  Oxford: Chandos Publishing
(2006).  ISBN: 1843341557 (paper) 1843341662 (hardcover)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1843341557/

Mark

Mark Dahl
Asst. Director for Systems and Access Services
Watzek Library
Lewis & Clark College
0615 SW Palatine Hill Rd.
Portland, OR 97219