[Web4lib] blue sky thinking

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Tue Jul 25 13:08:13 EDT 2006

The Oregon State Library provides a (money-free but not commitment-free) webhosting solution  to public libraries (based on the open source content management system Plone). We do all the initial configuration and training, provide documentation, and ongoing training and support (to encourage libraries to rollout new features that patrons either request or would find useful/fun).

Within this particular content management system it is possible for libraries to host blogs, online forums, etc in addition to all the regular static content. We most certainly see it as a win-win: libraries that might not otherwise be able to have a pretty cool website get one as well as get more comfortable with technology and patrons get better access to their library's resources.

We're also working with other state libraries who have shown an interest in rolling out a similar solution for their public libraries.

Cheers,
Darci

--
Darci Hanning