[Web4lib] blue sky thinking

Houghton, Sarah houghton at plsinfo.org
Tue Jul 25 12:54:20 EDT 2006

You are absolutely right Roy.  Libraries should not allow themselves to be hamstrung by sloppy, ugly domain names (often city, county, state, or university URLs from hades like overlylonglibraryname.mycity.state.us) or by ridiculous server restrictions put in place by the IT department.

Often times the people who recognize the problems inherent in local hosting solutions are the library's in-house webbies and techies.  And we do our best to explain this to our directors.  We troll out issues of usability testing, branding, Web 2.0, how the library simply has different needs than other departments, the need for a dynamic presence, you name it.  Ultimately, though, the decision to stay on the other entity's server or with their domain name structure is 100% political.  And directors don't want to risk irritating their own bosses or the institution's IT departments.  I'm not saying that's okay.  It's absolutely not.  But that's the reality.

There is an element of the library wanting to play nicely with the other children.  "We're part of the city/county/university family; we have to show that we're team players, even if that means having a crap website."

But there is also a real reticence for libraries to outsource.  I can hear directors across the vast fields of libraryland saying "Why would we pay X company to host our website when the city/county/university is doing it right here for us in-house and we know them?"  Even if the in-house solution is substandard, many directors would rather stick with that than pay to outsource.  Again, back to the politics of it, but also the element of the unknown.  Many libraries may feel that the process of outsourcing is a complicated one--that moving content from server A to server B is an insurmountable task.  That the company you choose may go out of business in a couple of years.

How would you, Roy or anyone else, suggest that we address these concerns and successfully advocate for a library director to support a move to get the library's web presence off of a substandard server and/or into a better domain?  I ask in all seriousness, having been down this road myself twice.

Sarah Houghton