[Web4lib] blue sky thinking

Blake Carver lists at lisnews.com
Tue Jul 25 12:38:39 EDT 2006

On 7/25/06, Roy Tennant <Roy.Tennant at ucop.edu> wrote:

> Rent a server, by all means, and do it yourselves. It really isn't that
> hard
> at all.
> Roy

True, it's *not* hard at all to rent a server and keep it running most of
the time, but when things go wrong it gets *really* hard.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people dedicate an amazing amount of
time and energey to attacking our server. The battle against the bad guys
never ends, and it's not easy. It's not easy when one of them gets in and
starts causing trouble. There's also all the email spammers to deal with
(you'd be amazed how much spam comes in constantly) and worse yet, the blog
spammers. They will regularly overwhelm a site and server with poorly
written link spammers and cause more headaches. My (educated) guess is about
90% of all email and blog comments/trackbacks are spam.

Then there's all the little things that could go wrong like corrupted
libraries, bad hard drives, and various other troubles that come up all the
time in a shared hosting environment.

But even with all that, Roy's right, it's not all that hard, especially if
you have only a few well controlled domains.

-Blake