[Web4lib] First library gophers?

J.P.Knight J.P.Knight at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Jul 11 07:56:02 EDT 2006

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006, K.G. Schneider wrote:
> I'm trying to pinpoint when the first library gophers became available. I
> know gopher launched in the spring of 1991; I'm trying to construct a
> reasonable chronology for some popular library services. I looked at
> PACS-L... what a blast through the past... but really couldn't get a good
> feel for the answer.

I remember back in 1992ish being a research student and getting engaged in
a friendly struggle with my office mate to see how far we could drill down
into Loughborough's BLCMP OPAC (BLS I think it still was back then but its
all a bit hazy in the mists of time, especially as it wasn't our real work
but a bit of a geeky giggle) using a Gopher front end and some Expect/Tcl
scripts.  It was our doing that that got the pair of us involved with
doing the webopac prototype for Loughborough/BLCMP a year or two later.

Ah, happy days! :-)

Jim'll