[Web4lib] word/html converter

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Mon Jul 10 18:19:53 EDT 2006

At 04:02 PM 7/10/2006, Thomas Dowling wrote:
>On 7/10/2006 3:17 PM, Sarah Smith wrote:
>
> > We have a word doc with text boxes galore that make up our newsletter.
>

>If that means you're trying to recreate a heavily formatted that was
>really created as desktop publishing, I'd advise not even trying to
>convert it to HTML; the result will probably please no one.
>
>Put it up as PDF, or start from scratch with a reasonably good HTML
>editor.  That isn't black magic by any means, and will go quickly if you
>can copy and paste out of those text boxes galore.

Agree with all of this.  What's needed is a basic Content Management
System although that isn't likely going to help much if one wants to
render already existing word documents in multiple formats.

Check out a PDF printer driver (don't recall what it's called but I
found it with Google).  From a Word document one can just "print" to
the PDF driver and it'll create a PDF version.   I did it for a 50
page scoping study I wrote and the PDF version looked better than
than the word document (that's what the contractor asked for
initially) so I used it for printing the hard copies.