[Web4lib] Which Linux Distribution for a Library Web Server?

Francis Kayiwa kayiwa at uic.edu
Thu Jul 6 11:20:58 EDT 2006

On Jul 6, 2006, at 7:17 AM, Keith D. Engwall wrote:

> Dear folks,
>
> I have built a linux web server for our library web site, and am
> contemplating which distribution to use.
>
> Our library web site (http://libweb.catawba.edu) uses PHP and MySQL
> primarily, but there is at least one application that currently
> uses Perl, YAZ, and Net::Z3950.
>
> Currently, I'm having a go at Debian sarge.  While it has been
> mostly successful, I've noticed that there is no deb for MySQL 5
> and I've had some trouble installing the ZOOM Perl module, so I'm
> wondering if I'm barking up the wrong tree, distribution-wise.
>
> While I've got plenty of experience with standard web design, I've
> only scratched the surface when it comes to newer web-based
> applications, so I want to try to go with a distribution that
> others have used successfully.
>
> Any thoughts, opinions, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

Keith,

You could always build the deb file for MySQL (You may actually enjoy
the process and can submit back to the project -no really. :-))

Also have you checked backports?

http://www.backports.org/package.php?search=mysql

I see it there.

Ultimately the curse (or blessing of Debian\GNU Linux) is it's
inherent stability and "The Debian Way." Much like your case I have
never found this to be a problem when dealing with upstream software
that has cycles that are MUCH faster than Debian Stable.

Others have suggested Ubuntu Linux. I agree with them mostly because
of the predictable "release cycle" but every time I have taken a stab
at Ubuntu I find myself "losing" control and it isn't anything
pinning and a dist-upgrade to Debian Etch cannot fix. :-)

regards,
./fxk

Francis Kayiwa
Library Systems Team