[Web4lib] Federated search applications-why did you choose?

w-mischo at uiuc.edu w-mischo at uiuc.edu
Sun Jul 2 21:31:30 EDT 2006

We are testing several locally-developed federated search
applications that focus on resource discovery and ranking.
The search results show the number of matches to the user
query and display links that provide “live” connections to
the native interfaces at the point of the completed search.
Users can then, if they wish, also modify the search in the
native interface. We want to utilize the value-added
features of the native interfaces, including custom full-
text links and our local SFX link resolution button. The
custom full-text and faceted search links are not
consistently or typically passed through by vendor federated
search systems.

One example is our multi-OPAC search at:
http://search.grainger.uiuc.edu/voyagersearch/

We are also testing an undergraduate oriented interface at:
http://search.grainger.uiuc.edu/searchaid/searchassist.asp

and an engineering/business system where users can choose
specific databases at:
http://search.grainger.uiuc.edu/searchaid/searchaid.asp

Bill Mischo