[Web4lib] FW: [DIG_REF] IM & Security

robin rboulton at linc.lib.il.us
Tue Jan 31 10:39:26 EST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org
[mailto:web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Gorman
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 9:20 AM
To: Drew, Bill
Cc: Web4Lib
Subject: RE: [Web4lib] FW: [DIG_REF] IM & Security
I agree - but I argue that it is no *more* of a threat than email (or a
malicious web site) and we're already dealing with those, so who not IM? The
same precautions that we employ against other threats should adequately
protect against IM attacks (absent any new and viciously innovative exploit,
of course).

[Robin]

>Of course, I'm not an expert in this topic, but I would be a bit more
>concerned with IM than most software due to the nature of the programs.
>I would consider it at least as much of a problem as email.
> We have been using AOL IM for several years.  It is not a security
> problem.

While I personally like IM clients, I wouldn't go so far to say that they
are not a security problem.  Many of the IM clients out there now have
poor reputations as far as security.

There are issues like the propagation of worms, the away message buffer
overflow attack (I believe that occurred last year), denial of service
attacks and so on.

Try doing a search for "AOL Instant Messenger" at www.cert.org, or google
for AOL worm.

Of course, I'm not an expert in this topic, but I would be a bit more
concerned with IM than most software due to the nature of the programs.
I would consider it at least as much of a problem as email.

> I believe those in IT that call it a security problem are
> being too paranoid.

Why?  I've seen one of the IM worms in action.  They're not imagined
threats.  Of course, many times users are not even aware machines have
been compromised.

But again, many of the concerns with IM are solved by common-sense
approaches to security.  On the other hand a smaller organization may need
a longer time to create a setup in regards to IM that they can maintain.
Some might prefer to set up their own Jabber server and implement
filtering in a manner similar to how many emails are filtered now.
Others might just install a bunch of clients and try to make sure that
they're upgraded and try to watch traffic on those ports.

In a similar vein, there might be some concerns over large amount of
communication in the clear.  Of course, so is email.  I do know people who
have tried to keep their IM's and email encrypted and rarely find anyone
else willing to do it.

> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Benjamin Franklin)

"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty" (Wendell Phillips)

Jon Gorman