[Web4lib] Any libraries using Drupal as their website CMS?

Mark Jordan mjordan at sfu.ca
Fri Jan 27 21:46:30 EST 2006

Hi,

There has been discussion on web4lib of using Drupal for library blogging, but I'd be
interested in hearing from libraries that use it as their main website CMS. I know the
Ann Arbor District Library uses it to great success (they've even integrated their ILS
into it). In particular, I'm interested in your assessment of:

1) Scalability -- how well does it perform (I know that Spread Firefox and the Onion
use it, so it can scaled fairly high)

2) Content creation/workflow management (users/groups/roles)

3) Flexibility, particularly with regard to use of existing Drupal modules or locally
developed modules

4) Your experience with creating themes (layout/CSS/etc.) for your site.

I have used Drupal for a couple of non-library websites, but they were fairly small
scale, and am now wondering how feasible it would be to implement it on a larger scale.
I'm interested in Drupal because it is feature-rich, is fairly well written, and has a
pretty active user and developer community. The documentation is improving rapidly too.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Jordan
Head of Library Systems
W.A.C. Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, British Columbia, V5A 1S6, Canada
Phone (604) 291 5753 / Fax (604) 291 3023
mjordan at sfu.ca / http://www.sfu.ca/~mjordan/