[Web4lib] America's most connected campuses

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 17:42:58 EST 2006

Yahoo, Wired, and others have taken stabs at this sort of measurement.  I
say take all of these surveys with a huge grain of salt.  Some universities
even refuse to take part in such surveys.

Such surveys can cause universities to spend scarce resources trying to meet
the criteria of the survey, rather than concentrating on the best bang for
the buck.  I know of one university that installed wireless in every
building on campus, so that they could claim that the entire campus had
wireless access.  But what they really meant was that at least *one room* in
every building had Wi-Fi -- a far cry from ubiquitous campus Wi-Fi.

I think a much more useful commitment is to cover the areas where students
and others on campus can benefit the most -- ie paint every place in the
Library where people sit and work, the Union, etc.

Caveat prospective student.

/rich