[Web4lib] linkchecker advice

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 00:51:43 EST 2006

Dan raises a very good point.  This is why an Error 404 handler needs to be
coded correctly, so that it returns a real Error 404 status code.  If you
have an error handler that traps the condition and returns what appears to
be a live page, then link checkers and spiders are fooled into thinking
they've found the real, live content.

A colleague and I wrote about this a few years ago.  See:
http://www.webreference.com/new/011004.html

/rich