[Web4lib] Social spaces and Networking for College Students

V. Chris & Tom Tinney, Sr. vctinney at dcn.org
Fri Jan 13 12:50:05 EST 2006

Drew, Bill wrote:

>I am experimenting with using such social networking / portals such as
>Facebook.com and My Space to go where our students hang out.  What are
>some other sites that college students use?  Are there any college
>libraries doing this?
>I know of one public library that is using My Space.

I know of one library system that blocked MySpace due
to excessive use.  " Oct. 24 marked the first day that
students could no longer access MySpace.com on
the City College campus.

According to campus authorities, MySpace.com,
the widely popular Internet community Web site
was blocked because of continually high network
traffic over the past few weeks.
. . .
DioGuardi notes that students perceive the Internet
as 'an attractive alternative to the real-world.'
In addition, students who have underdeveloped
social skills, who experience loneliness and who
are especially introverted are more likely to use
the Internet as a social outlet."
http://www.scc.losrios.edu/express/051103myspace.html

Respectfully yours,

Tom Tinney, Sr.
Who's Who in America, Millennium Edition [54th] - 2004
Who's Who In Genealogy and Heraldry, {both editions]
Genealogy and Family History Internet Web Directory
http://www.academic-genealogy.com/