[Web4lib] Moving from Apache to EZProxy

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Thu Jan 12 00:10:25 EST 2006

BF> item on Google or any
BF> subscription website and it
BF> triggered the proxy server if their browser was
BF> configured.  With EZProxy
BF> the patron will have to go to the library website
BF> and find the link to that
BF> item to utilize the proxy server.  Have there
BF> been complaints?  A great need
BF> for patron training?

It will take a bit of training, just as it would if one went the other
way.  The best thing about EZProxy is that the users don't have to
configure anything, which is a real pain in most environments.

We get a few complaints from faculty who can get to a ejournal site
that is ip authenticated by going straight to it from their office PC,
but can't from home.  They learn quickly and the complaints have been
few.

BF> Has anyone figured out a way around this so that
BF> EZProxy is triggered
BF> regardless of where the user finds it on the web?

Nope.  It doesn't work that way.  Try it and you'll see.

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA