[Web4lib] % of Knowledge Available Digitally

Mike McDermott mmcderm2 at bowdoin.edu
Mon Feb 13 13:48:16 EST 2006

This may be personal semantics and theoretical hair-splitting,
but I'd put the number at EXACTLY 0%. As I see it - 'knowledge'
implies someone knowing something and can only exist withing the
mind of the knower, so therefore cannot be directly communicated
or stored, digitally or otherwise.  We translate knowlege into
'information', which can be communicated, stored, etc... Then,
when someone processes that information, it becomes knowledge in
their mind (though not necessarily the same knowledge we started
with).

Mike McDermott

Mike McDermott                     mmcderm2 at bowdoin.edu
Bowdoin College Library
3000 College Station               phone: (207) 725-3856
Brunswick, Maine 04011-8421        fax:(207) 725-3083