[Web4lib] Logging spelling errors

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Mon Feb 6 12:52:52 EST 2006

As part of a larger project evaluating search engines, we plan to evaluate
the SEs using common spelling errors entered by users on our site.

Our informal plan is to use the top query reports we're ginning up, and skim
these reports for spelling errors. But we're using aspell as our
spell-checker and wondered if anyone had come up with a way to log
spell-check errors in a way that allowed you to produce reports limited to
misspelled terms (which could of course then be sorted by frequency,
assuming people are predictable in some of their misspellings). I can think
of all kinds of refinements and variations on that, but basically a list of
common misspellings is what we need.

N.b. yup, I'm familiar with and follow the aspell list, and yup, web4lib and
lita-l are still where I want to ask this question.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com