[Web4lib] Looking for software to build a Z39.50 gateway

Sebastian Hammer quinn at indexdata.dk
Mon Feb 6 07:06:59 EST 2006

Le Thuy Duong wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am looking for a software to build a web-based Z39.50 gateway to number of
>library catalogs. It should look like the one maintained by the Library of
>Congress at http://www.loc.gov/z3950/. It is greate if it is an open source
>software that supports PHP and UTF-8 character set.

Hi,

PHP has a Z39.50 extension; see http://www.php.net/yaz/ . It will
retrieve records from targets in MARC in different character sets and
map them to MARCXML and UTF-8 if desired (allowing you to use DOM or
XSLT tools to format records for presentations). A few simple
demonstration scripts are shown at http://www.indexdata.dk/phpyaz/ . You
can use these scripts as starting points or inspiration for your own
applications.

For similar APIs in many other programming languages, see
http://zoom.z3950.org/ .

Hope this helps,

--Sebastian

>Please let me know if you are aware of such a software. Many thanks in
>advance.
>
>--
>Le Thuy Duong
>MLIS Student