[Web4lib] Faceted navigation as metasearch

Casey Bisson cbisson at plymouth.edu
Sat Dec 30 19:44:34 EST 2006

On Dec 30, 2006, at 7:30 PM, K.G. Schneider wrote:

>> Karen, The problem with metasearch is that you're working with
>> retrieved
>> sets -- and with the data in different formats.
>
> The library-based metasearch applications have capabilities built
> in around
> database providers' capabilities (I almost wrote limitations...),
> while the

Another approach to this is to get the aggregated facet data from the
database vendors as part of the search. If the vendor offered good
access to the data, with a list of both results _and_ relevant facets
(and suggested alternate searches), our metasearch apps could simply
display that without having to do the processing.

Tops on my wishlist for 2007 is better/more implementation of
OpenSearch in library systems. OpenSearch supports returning facet
info and suggested alternate searches, turning this into a problem of
how to display and use the data.
Casey Bisson

Information Architect
Plymouth State University