[Web4lib] Government Documents Videos / Request for Video Software/Tutorial recommendations

Grace-Ellen McCrann gemscot at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 16:31:05 EST 2006

Dear Everybody.

Every State has at least one Regional Federal
Depository Library who get 100% of the documents
available through the Government Printing Office
[GPO].

Every Congressional District has at least one
Selective Federal Depository Library. Selective
Depositories choose the documents that they
receive from the GPO's available list.

The percentage of documents chosen varies with
each Selective Depository and generally reflects
that library's size and patron base/interests.

Not every document published by a Federal
agency/department/commission, etc. is included
in the Depository programme, though most of the
major documents/series of documents are included
in the programme.

Therefore, even Regional Depositories only get
100% of what the GPO offers ... not 100% of
what is published under government auspices.

Depository documents come in a variety of
formats, print, online, CD-Rom, DVD, maps,
microfiche, etc.

Some titles are produced in more than one format.
Examples would be current public laws and
current Congressional hearings. These types
of documents are currently produced in both
print versions as well in as online formats.

Some documents are produced in only one
format.

GPO maintains an online catalogue of docs at:
http://catalog.gpo.gov/F

The online catalogue includes docs from July
1976 onwards and is updated every business day.
GPO does have plans to add records for
docs going back to the late 1800's, but of
course the enormous size of such a project
means it will be years before such a task can
be completed.

Here at the City College of New York we are
a 51% Selective Depository for current documents.

We have been a depository since 1884 however,
so we have quite a large collection ... somewhere
between 400,000 and 1/2 million docs.

Kind regards,

Grace-Ellen McCrann
Chief, Government Documents & Reference Divisions
The City College of New York
Cohen Library, 2nd floor
160 Convent Avenue
New York, NY 10031
(212) 650 5073
gemscot at yahoo.com

--- Jeremy Dunck <jdunck at gmail.com> wrote:

Questions that spring to mind:

Does every FDL have a complete set of all
artifacts?

Are FDL artifacts generally prose, or are there
data sets (or documents that lend themselves to
OCR for data mining)?