[Web4lib] copyright and library home pages

Grace J. Agnew gagnew at rci.rutgers.edu
Thu Dec 7 16:06:49 EST 2006

It's a very interesting question, from a copyright standpoint.
Compilations that display creativity in the choice, arrangement, etc. of
information are copyrighted under the U.S. Code.  A bilbiography or
database would be copyright protected, but not the phone book.  Without
actually looking up the wording in the U.S. Code, I would say that there
is a good chance that the organization could argue that it's arrangement
of information is copyrighted.  However, I'm not sure whether the
arrangement, without the information, is copyrighted. In case law
examples that I can recall, the arranged information was always at
issue, and not simply the structure of the arrangement.

 In the UK, publishers have a related right under copyright law to the
layout and organization of a work that is for a shorter term than the
copyright held by the work's creator. My recollection is that this right
lasts 25 years from date of publication.  The UK also gives a limited
related right under copyright to those who digitize public domain
resources, (I think it is 10 years) to encourage organizations to
digitize older materials.  I don't think there is an equivalent related
right in the U.S., but this publication right seems most relevant to
what you are asking.

There's at least a chance that the structure would be copyrighted as a
compliation, particularly if you are reusing navigation terminology,
etc.  However, (1) I doubt that anyone would want to take you to court
to establish precedent for such a murky issue and (b) I agree with Bill,
just ask.  They will certainly give you permission.  If they don't, the
copyright code is vague enough in this area that the risk they would sue
you is very slim.   The most you are risking is that they would check to
see if you copied them without permission and would send you a nasty note.

Grace Agnew