[Web4lib] Google Allows Downloads of out-of-copyright Books

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Thu Aug 31 15:33:22 EDT 2006

Jonathan Gorman wrote:

> I'm skeptical of this.  I've followed OCR on and off again out of my
> own interest over the last few years.  To be able to handle nearly any
> book pre-1923 with a reasonable error rate is a bit tricky.  Even if
> the rate is really good, most projects I have seen require human
> effort and pre-processing to get these rates.  I'd be glad to be
> proven wrong here.

OCR companies claim that they can get a 98-99.9% accuracy rate directly
out of their software. (One of the main companies is Abbyy:
http://www.abbyy.com) They also claim to be able to OCR 177 languages.
It's pretty impressive, but remember that 99.9% means that there is one
bad character, average, for every 1000 characters, which means one
"typo" per page on average. I don't know how this compares the to
readers used by the blind (is Kurzweil still the main one?)

kc

--
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net