[Web4lib] CALEA

Thomas, Susan Elaine suethoma at iusb.edu
Thu Aug 31 09:21:50 EDT 2006

There seems to be small discussions beginning about the impact of CALEA
for academic libraries.  We are currently wrestling with this issue with
regards to providing public access to our library computers.  The campus
IT department wants us to have user accounts that community users can
check out but we have discovered that these also permit access to
databases off-campus so this practice will not work. It seems that CALEA
is going to compound this issue of providing access to community folks,
alumni, high school students, etc.  Has anyone else wrestled with
similar issues and if so what was the workable solution?

Susan E. Thomas
Head of Collection Development
Schurz Library
Indiana University South Bend