[Web4lib] Still seek library search log retention/use policies

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 21:12:51 EDT 2006

After the AOL search log exposure fiasco, I posted a query seeking library
policies on retention and use of search logs.  That unearthed nothing.
Searching for such policies hasn't unearthed any shining examples.  I did
find a very nice privacy policy at the ACM at:

http://www.acm.org/serving/acm-privacy.html

"...we may keep access logs, for example containing a visitor's IP address
and search queries. We may analyze log files periodically to help maintain
and improve our Web site and enforce our online service polices. Cookies are
only set when users visit restricted portions of our website. Raw log files
are treated as confidential and retained for no longer than two years. "

Nice, clear, statement on search log retention, use, and confidentiality.

Can someone please point me to a similar privacy statement at a library?  I
find policies on search records, on the logs of who used public Internet
terminals, etc.  I can't find policies on search logs, both those housed at
the library and at commercial database vendors.

Thanks,

/rich