[Web4lib] Google Allows Downloads of out-of-copyright Books

Jim Campbell campbell at virginia.edu
Wed Aug 30 14:01:35 EDT 2006

I'd add on the plus side the simple fact that the books are available at
all.  With a very little hunting you can find digital versions of
Middlemarch elsewhere, but Google's got the complete works of George Eliot
up there.  Now why the 1895 edition is available for download and full view
and the 1900 edition is snippet view only, ......

On the down side, the error rate, the quality is sufficient only as long as
you are talking about Roman alphabet books. They seem to do OCR on
everything, but for most older German books, for Russian, Greek, Yiddish,
Arabic etc. it's useless.  Worse than useless, because they don't mention
anywhere that it's useless, and people may think no result means the text
they want to read isn't there at all.

- Jim Campbell

Digital Access Coordinator and Librarian for German
E-Mail: Campbell at Virginia.Edu | Voice: 434-924-4985

Digital Access Services, University of Virginia Library
http://www.lib.virginia.edu/digital/das/