[Web4lib] Google Allows Downloads of out-of-copyright Books

Jim Campbell campbell at virginia.edu
Wed Aug 30 12:12:04 EDT 2006

There certainly are other ways to get ahold of Tom Sawyer or Mansfield Park,
but we have a request from a visiting professor to put on reserve a volume
from a particular 19th century edition of the works of Friedrich Maximilian
Klinger. Hard to come by quickly on the antiquarian market and sort of silly
to go out and get 12 volumes when she needs about 50 pages for her class.
But now that we've figured out which link goes to that volume, we can make
it available to all the students.

Just as most libraries had persuaded themselves that just-in-time was a
better model than just-in-case Google has put the old model up again (at
least for pre-1923 titles if you happen to be in the US or have access to a
proxy server).

- Jim Campbell

Digital Access Coordinator and Librarian for German
E-Mail: Campbell at Virginia.Edu | Voice: 434-924-4985

Digital Access Services, University of Virginia Library
http://www.lib.virginia.edu/digital/das/