[Web4lib] Google Allows Downloads of out-of-copyright Books

Jim Campbell campbell at virginia.edu
Wed Aug 30 11:50:20 EDT 2006

I'm not sure Roy is referring to the same problem.

Google has been a little vague about what is and is not available (and about
a lot of other things), but from what I've heard from friends in other
countries they seem for now to be taking the most conservative possible
interpretation of copyright for each country and then applying that to all
works, whether or not it's appropriate for a particular work or edition.  So
in the US anything published before 1923 is available because that's a
pretty easy thing to program, but for now they're not bothering with
individual works that may be in the public domain because life + 70 years
has expired or because copyright was not renewed.

As they keep saying, it is a beta, so mayb they'll move to a more nuanced
interpretation of copyright later on.  And that's something they can change.
I'm more worried about the poor quality of some of the scans and some of the
decisions about metadata such as not including volume numbers.  I know full
text search is supposed to take care of all that, but they're scanning a lot
of non-Roman alphabet texts and their OCR is miserable to non-existent.

- Jim Campbell
Campbell at Virginia.edu