[Web4lib] Google Allows Downloads of out-of-copyright Books

David J. Fiander dfiander at uwo.ca
Wed Aug 30 11:35:40 EDT 2006

Roy Tennant wrote:

> This is one of my gripes about Google Books. Although the work itself may be
> clearly in the public domain, if a publisher has republished it and is
> currently selling it, it is locked down on Google Books. Add to this the

Roy, if only it were that simple.  Jessamyn West talked about google books
on her blog a while ago, and identified some neat books, including "The
library list: Being a list of public libraries in the United States and in
Canada [....]", which definitely has not been republished, but was scanned
from the original, public domain item dated 1887.

And I still can't see it online:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bookgeek/69217781/

- David

--
David J. Fiander              | +1 519 661 2111 ext 86369
Digital Services Librarian    | http://www.lib.uwo.ca/taylor/
Allyn & Betty Taylor Library  | MSN chat: dfiander at uwo.ca
University of Western Ontario |