[Web4lib] EBSCOhost Connection

Bruce Brigell BBrigell at skokielibrary.info
Wed Aug 30 11:29:03 EDT 2006

About a year ago EBSCO refused to allow us to display their content in a federated search unless the user was pre-authenticated. We had a setup where results [citation & abstracts] would appear and users would only have to login when selecting items from subscription Db's.

If this product allows such viewing I will be asking for their reconsideration on this issue.

It's been a sore point to me that we must ask our users to authenticate before accessing a product that is supposed to compete with search engines on the ease of use issue. My thought is that if they see the results from our databases first they will be more likely to take the time to authenticate.

Bruce Brigell
Coordinator of Information Services
Skokie Public Library
bbrigell at skokielibrary.info