[Web4lib] EBSCOhost Connection

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Aug 30 09:51:10 EDT 2006

On 8/30/2006 9:37 AM, Jim Campbell wrote:

 > If EBSCO is in fact following in Gale's footsteps, then the best
thing you
> can do is talk to your sales rep (or get your consortium to talk to the
> sales rep) and lobby for introducing IP authentication into the options.

>From our discussions with EBSCO, it sounds like they will automatically
use the IP ranges they already have on file.  Only if your IP is not
recognized will you need to select a library or location on their form.

In Ohio, the statewide academic, public, and school library consortia
got together to set up a single "Ohio" location for EBSCO to point to.
That will take users to a script that attempts to detect if the user is
in Ohio (and if so, whisks you off to an EBSCO account the public
library group set up); otherwise, it presents you with links to the
authentication systems for each of the three consortia.

But the $64k question: is EBSCO actually getting citations into
Google/Yahoo/MSN/Ask search results?  We haven't seen it yet.

--
Thomas Dowling