[Web4lib] Hotmail and 'Page cannot be displayed' message

Hankinson, Andrew HankiA at parl.gc.ca
Mon Aug 28 11:44:36 EDT 2006

I don't know about saying that "Hotmail won't work without Microsoft
Messenger."  It should - Hotmail is just a website, and it would be
running over port 80.
I would also suspect a firewall issue, but one that blocks access to
"http://www.hotmail.com" instead of a certain port.  It sounds like you
are using different routes to the Internet for different PC's, so have a
look "upstream" from the PC's that are having the problems.  My guess is
that you may find an overzealous admin who blocked Hotmail and Yahoo.

A good way to test if it's the encryption is to find someone with a
gmail account.  I know you can access gmail, both encrypted and
non-encrypted, simply by changing the "http://" to "https://".

Cheers,
Andrew