[Web4lib] Librarian 2.0 Experiment: Librarian Fit Club

Keith D. Engwall kengwall at catawba.edu
Thu Aug 24 09:57:34 EDT 2006

Dear Web4Lib,

After learning about Web/Library/Librarian/etc. 2.0 stuff over the past
month or so, I've decided to undertake a practical Librarian 2.0
experiment.

Librarian Fit Club

I've got two objectives:

1) Using a variety of social networking and collaborative tools, build a
web presence that would allow librarians to experiment with these types
of tools in a functional environment.
2) Maybe lose a few pounds (hey, it's motivation for objective #1).

Obviously, just using random tools would not make for a very functional
environment.  Thus far, I'm thinking the tools that would be useful for
this experiment:

Basecamp: For planning, setting goals, marking progress, etc.
A hosted Wiki: For storing ideas, fitness routines, recipes, etc.
A group blog: For celebrating, venting, and sharing, and documenting the
thing.
Flickr: For the brave of heart (grin).
...anything else anyone thinks would be useful for both objectives...

Thus far, I've created a basecamp group
(http://librarianfitclub.grouphub.com)
and a flickr group (http://www.flickr.com/groups/librarianfitclub/)

The flickr group is open.  Basecamp requires an admin to create and add
people to the site.

I'm looking into Wikis and Blogs, but I'd really welcome some
collaboration in building this thing.

If you're interested in participating, please send me an e-mail
off-list.

Thanks,

Keith

Keith Engwall
Head of Library Systems and Technology
Catawba College
Salisbury, NC
kengwall at catawba.edu

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public
relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard P. Feynman