[Web4lib] outputting a pre formatted list from a database to a web page

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Aug 22 14:56:16 EDT 2006

On 8/22/2006 12:03 PM, John Fitzgibbon wrote:

> I wish to line up the data in column two. Is there any character other
> than a tab that I can use?

Within <pre>, you'd really have to use spaces.  There's no guarantee
that all browsers have tab stops the same number of spaces apart.

> Is using the pre element within an inline element allowed?

No (see <http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/block/pre.html>), so
browser behavior is undefined.  It sounds like you need to rework this
from the ground up so that you can do real markup with your database output.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu