[Web4lib] 800x600 Browser Resolution

Ward Price wprice at utpa.edu
Tue Aug 22 12:36:00 EDT 2006

Thanks to all who helped me with my question on standards for web pages.
Maybe one day I'll get this right.

Ward Price

________________________________

Ward Price <wprice at utpa.edu> wrote:

	Perhaps I've missed it in discussions on browsers and white
space and
	such, but are there standards or guidelines out there somewhere
for
	university library websites? I mean standards for content
(subject
	guides, personal pages, hours, tutorials, forms,
ask-a-librarian, etc.),
	organization (Research, Library Services, Library Information,
or
	whatever), navigation elements (drop downs/pulldowns vs.
mouseovers/fly
	outs) and positioning (top vs side), other items (videos, flash,
	podcast, etc.), design elements like those discussed recently,
and all
	the other stuff that goes into websites. I'm interested in
something
	like ACRL standards, which I cannot find, or some other
recognized body
	like that. I've found guidelines and policies for individual
	institutions, and of course things like Jakob Nielsen's stuff
and the
	Library Success Best practices Wiki, and lots of information on
	usability standards for the disabled, not to mention all the
information
	available on this list. But are there "real guidelines from
recognized
	authorities" that we should be following, or is it all matter of
	personal preference, six of one and half a dozen of another, and
	whatever works best for me today?

	Ward Price

	Web Librarian <http://www.lib.panam.edu/>

	The University of Texas-Pan American <http://www.panam.edu/>