[Web4lib] Classes for Seniors

McHale, Nina nina.mchale at cudenver.edu
Thu Aug 17 12:12:23 EDT 2006

Karen's car analogy reminded me of my grandmother-in-law. A retired
librarian, she uses her computer to edit a news column for a local
paper, scans photos for geneaology projects, and communicates regularly
with her entire family via email. I've always been impressed at how
adept she is at *using* her computer. When it comes to simple
maintenance, though, enter my husband, who gets pulled into the office
everytime we visit to fix something. She is also very resistant to any
kind of upgrades, even though that is often the cause of the problem.
When my husband didn't know what to suggest other than replacement for
an obviously dying printer that was the size of a Mini Cooper, she asked
incredulously, "What? It's only eight years old!" (She also was aghast
that her furnace only lasted 50 years.)

I'm just curious: does anyone out there include in their senior classes
issues about personal computer maintenance and upgrading? I know getting
down to specifics would be impossible because everyone's computer is
going to be different, but covering basic concepts like regular
maintenance and frequency of upgrades might be helpful to those who
think like my GIL. Someone, I think Scott Brandt, suggested at a
conference that even showing patrons how to clean the lint out of a
mouse--go ahead and laugh, but my workstation mouse still has a
ball--made them feel a lot more confident about computers.

Nina

Nina McHale, MA/MSLS
Web Services Librarian
Auraria Library

Serving the University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences
Center-Downtown Campus,
Metropolitan State College
and the Community College of Denver

1100 Lawrence Street