[Web4lib] Classes for Seniors

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Thu Aug 17 10:32:09 EDT 2006

"Anyway, at some point in the near future (if it hasn't already happened)
a person's age will no longer be a reliable indicator of computing
background/experience."

I think we've already reached this point although perhaps not in the way
that Bernie was stating it. I think Bernie is right that there's a group
of users approaching or reaching retirement age who have quite extensive
computer experience. I also think there are a lot of seniors who have
taken to computers in numbers that I think many would have predicted 5 or
10 years ago. However, I think there's also an assumption that younger
users, having grown up with computers, are a group that doesn't need basic
computer training. It presumes that as their percentage of the user base
grows, computer and technology classes that focus on the basics will be
less and less relevant.

If that's the assumption, I'm here to say that I think it's flawed. I've
seen enough younger users who can "use" a computer but really don't know
the first thing about what they are doing. Having grown up in an
environment where computers were always present, I think many younger
users treat computers as tools or everyday objects so they use them to get
done what they need to get done but they don't seem to have been taught
and don't seem to feel the need to learn how it all works. They often
display a complete lack of understanding of how the technology works. When
the computer doesn't work, they don't have the first clue about how to get
it to work.

Whether this group realizes it or not, many of them would benefit from
basic computer training. Unlike the senior group, youngers users don't
necessarily need skills-based training. Instead, they would benefit from
training that explains the concepts and how computers and networks work.
The challenge will be to get this group to recognize that they need to
know more about the technology than just how to turn the computer on and
off. But I still see a place for the basics even as more of our users are
born into a world where the presence of the computer and technology is
everywhere.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library