[Web4lib] seeking software for putting photographs on the web

Chad F. Boeninger boeninge at ohio.edu
Fri Aug 11 16:51:29 EDT 2006

I've used Gallery  (<http://gallery.menalto.com/>) for this purpose on my
personal web site.  With gallery, you can assign keyword terms to photos
that are searchable, not visible.  You can have nested galleries, and the
software automatically records how many views a picture has received.
You can also customize the size of each picture, and users can have
multiple sizes to choose from when viewing.

There is also a product called Gallery Remote that works very much like the
Flickr desktop uploader.

Best of all, Gallery is opensource, the price is right for libraries.

Hope this helps,
Chad

--On Thursday, August 10, 2006 3:09 PM +0100 John Fitzgibbon
<jfitzgibbon at Galwaylibrary.ie> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a collection of old photographs that we wish to display on the
> Web.
>
> One difficulty, we are encountering is that when creating thumbnails, we
> can standardize the width of the images or the height of the images but
> not both.
>
> We would also like to index the collection and make it searchable.
>
> Is there software that will assist us with this? What meta language is
> best for indexing photographs?
>
> Regards
> John
>
> John Fitzgibbon
>
> p: 00 353 91 562471
> f: 00 353 91 565039
> w: http://www.galwaylibrary.ie

> T? eolas at? pr?obh?ideach agus r?nda sa r?omhphost seo
> agus aon iat?n a ghabhann leis agus is leis an duine/na daoine
> sin amh?in a bhfuil siad seolta chucu a bhaineann siad.
> Mura seola? th?, n?l t? ?daraithe an r?omhphost n? aon iat?n
> a ghabhann leis a l?amh, a ch?ip?il n? a ?s?id.
> M? t? an r?omhphost seo faighte agat tr? dhearmad,
> cuir an seolt?ir ar an eolas thr? aischur r?omhphoist
> agus scrios ansin ? le do thoil.
>
> This e-mail and any attachment contains information which is
> private and confidential and is intended for the addressee
> only. If you are not an addressee, you are not authorised
> to read, copy or use the e-mail or any attachment.
> If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
> the sender by return e-mail and then destroy it.

Chad F. Boeninger
Reference & Instruction Librarian
Business & Economics Bibliographer
Ohio University Libraries