[Web4lib] Access Control: Wiki vs. CMS

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Aug 10 16:27:41 EDT 2006

I am repeatedly impressed by how often, when librarians consider wikis,
their first thought seems to be of access control.  The idea of "just
anybody being able to edit our Web pages" seems somehow innately
abhorrent.  It leads me to wonder if they "get" the very idea of a wiki.
The first wiki (The Portland Pattern Repository Wiki
<http://c2.com/cgi/wiki>) has always allowed anyone to edit any page and
is a very successful project.  There are many others, Wikipedia not least
among them.

Access control is part of the definition of a Content Management System,
which comes to the Web via the corporate world.  A Wiki is a different
beast entirely.

Chris Gray
Systems Analyst
University of Waterloo Library