[Web4lib] University of California's 100 LibrariesJoinGoogleBook-Scanning Project

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu Aug 10 15:08:53 EDT 2006

> > Another concern is whether UC will insist that items digitized in Google
> include physical library locations. I
> > am dismayed to go to Google Books and see libraries "disappeared"
> through item records that feature the online
> > book and online booksellers for the physical item, but make no mention
> of the physical location of the item
> > in a real-world library.
>
> According to a talk from one of Google's muckety-mucks in April (at the
> Endeavor User's Group Meeting), Google is not interested in suppressing
> library information.  It's the publishers who are making that a
> stipulation of their involvement.  From that, I'd hope that Google would
> not try to oppose library information for UC's digitized collection.

Right, even at my most paranoid I don't think Google is actively suppressing
this information. But it is not available and it has not been a significant
bargaining point. It's interesting how much clout the PUBLISHERS have had
over a project that theoretically benefits libraries and library users.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com