[Web4lib] University of California's 100 Libraries Join Google Book-Scanning Project

Leslie Johnston johnston at virginia.edu
Wed Aug 9 17:30:27 EDT 2006

At 05:10 PM 8/9/2006, Karen Coyle wrote:

>>Internet Archive founder Brewster Kahle told Cnet that while he was
>>pleased the university will continue to work with the OCA, he
>>criticized UC for "privatizing its library system" by agreeing to
>>Google's limitations on distributing and sharing copies of
>>digitized books. "They're effectively giving their library to a
>>single corporation," he said. "Having a public institution decide
>>to go with Google's restrictions doesn't help the idea of libraries
>>being open in the future."
>
>This brings up one of the main questions on my mind: what does the
>UC contract say about sharing the files that Google creates?
>Fortunately, UC is a public institution subject to the California
>public records act, so I'm hoping that we will soon be able to see a
>copy of that contract, as we did with the Michigan one.
>
>There are other issues as well, including the quality control one
>that we've brought up here from time to time. Google's goal is to
>produce searchable text, and they can do so fairly quickly and
>inexpensively by tolerating a certain amount of error. UC's goal
>seems to be different -- there are hints that they are looking at
>the Google solution as providing them with almost a substitute for
>the book itself.* My fear is that all of this effort is going to
>turn out to be just the digital version of microfiche -- good from a
>technology point of view, but lousy for library users.

I had an offline conversation about this earlier this afternoon, and
the goal for UC likely is a straightforward one -- get as many books
digitized as possible through whichever partnerships present
themselves to be able to create their own UC-wide digital book resource.

Sure, there are issues with books being available through multiple
services, and Google being a closed service, and how any of this
jibes with UC being a public institution.  But, in the end, UC is
going to get a lot of its collections digitized and will be able to
deliver them in as many ways as they can.