[Web4lib] Wikis, access control, calendars

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Aug 9 09:15:44 EDT 2006

Keith,

Just a note that you might be interested in.  The access control that you
are planning is an all or nothing thing, all ip addresses in the range can
gain access to all pages.  Those "pages" aren't in directories, they're in
the underlying MySQL db.

Here at the University of Waterloo, we had staff ask for areas on the wiki
that could be restricted to certain groups to allow collaborative work on
the draft of a report not yet meant for the eyes of all staff.  WikiMedia
provides for that kind of more fine grained access control internally.

Chris Gray
Library Systems
University of Waterloo

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to
do and always a clever thing to say."
 	--Will Durant