[Web4lib] Drupal & Plone

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Tue Aug 8 15:37:08 EDT 2006

Tom Keays says:

> I don't know that much about Plone, but it has a reputation
> for being hard to install and work with, because it requires
> the Python-based CMS, Zope, as a backbone. I have worked with
> Zope and it has a long learning curve.

I'll take a guess and say that things have dramatically improved as far the installation process goes for Python/Zope/Plone -- as long as you RTFM and are familiar with the general process of installing open source packages from source. (Just to clarify, Zope is an application server that comes with a Content Management Framework (CMF) but Plone is the real CMS workhorse).

These days, complete installation packages are also available for the Windows and OSX platforms so you can be up and playing around with Plone in just a few minutes. The same is true for a number *nix platforms (RPMs and the like) but it's strongly recommended (and easy enough) to install Python/Zope/Plone from source for those platforms.

Cheers,
Darci

--
Darci Hanning