[Web4lib] Drupal on a Windows server?

Houghton, Sarah houghton at plsinfo.org
Fri Aug 4 20:27:51 EDT 2006

I think the crux of the issue is that many of us are in, or at least perceive that we are in, a situation where we have what we have server-wise, and that's it.  It is what it is, for better or worse, but we don't have the power to get something different.  Whether it's because you're hosted by your university, state, city, county, consortium, or other peripheral larger agency--it doesn't matter.  You're using them to host because that's just how it's always been done.

We all had these larger agencies hosting for us because years ago we didn't have the staff or money to host ourselves, and the wealth of (often cheaper) outsourced options didn't exist as they do today.  Now things have changed.  The world has moved on without us, and many of the agencies we're using to host for us have fallen behind the times and then some.   If the agency can't give the library what it wants on its servers, then the library should look elsewhere.

That's when the fun begins.  The political ramifications of doing so, even if it's clear that what the library needs cannot be provided by the agency, are often significant and not something the directors want to pursue.  One has to make the argument that the end-user service ramifications outweigh the tip-toeing political ramifications.  That's why I asked, in our big discussion last week about system ability and library needs, for ways to convince one's director that the leap to outsourced hosting is a leap worth making.  It's an argument many of us in smaller libraries have had to make, or will have to make soon.  And it's a hard one--it's difficult to argue rationally with "we're part of this 'family' and we don't want to make enemies."  That's the response I got in the last library I worked in where this was an issue.  It's not a response one can combat with logic.

Sarah Houghton