[Web4lib] DOPA Wiki?

Keith D. Engwall kengwall at catawba.edu
Fri Aug 4 15:43:43 EDT 2006

Dear web4lib community,

I'm preparing to contact my senator about DOPA.  I do not want to present another generic letter voicing my opposition to DOPA; my fear is that if these letters are too similar, Senators will tune them out after the first few.

I want to craft something with as much specific evidence of the benefits of social software as possible.  However, my experience with social software is extremely limited.

At the Technology Summit for Libraries 2.0 in Charlotte yesterday, Michael Stephens spoke about the Wisdom of Crowds (he attributed credit, but it slips my mind).  I think that this concept would be very applicable here.  This seems like the right crowd to throw in their collective wisdom on this matter.

If there is a wiki out there where librarians can add their experiences with social software, can someone please post the URL (would the Discussion page on the Wikipedia entry for DOPA be the best place, for example)?

If there isn't, would someone be willing to set one up?  I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

If we can pool our knowledge on this, I think we can all benefit from it.

Thanks very much,

Keith Engwall
Head of Library Systems and Technology
Catawba College Library