[Web4lib] Color printing

Dale Irving dirving at sailsinc.org
Sat Apr 29 10:56:17 EDT 2006

I can't directly answer John's query regarding the cost of color printing,
but I can tell him one way to find the information.  He can access supplies
cost information from the printer mfg website as well as expected
consumption rates (it does vary per color) and compare this to the list
prices for the supplies (and expected consumption) for his b&w printer.

Also, we provide color printing (HP4600) in the public library I work at,
charging .50 per page (5 times b&w rate - an arbitrary figure)  We also use
Envisionware's LPT1 product to control printing costs.  Its a bit expensive
but works very well - requiring patrons to accept the print job and clearly
stated cost before the job is sent to the printer.  Jobs are release either
at a staff print station or, optionally, at a public release station.  A
coin kiosk can also be used.
Dale