[Web4lib] managing colour printing by the public

David Jones djones at scu.edu
Fri Apr 28 13:49:38 EDT 2006

>>> "Bill Teschek" <bteschek at hampton.lib.nh.us> 4/28/2006 6:44 AM >>>
We charge 10 cents for B&W copies and 25 for color at our library
<<<

We have the same setup - B&W by default, colour as an option. B&W are a mix of LJ4050 & LJ8150. Colour is a Dell 5100CN. They are clearly labeled in Windows XP as being either B&W or Color printers after their room names.

Our charges, though, are 8 cents & 25 cents.

We haven't had colour long enough for a cost comparison, but the colour toner cartridges are expensive enough to justify it, IMO. The black toner cartridges in the colour printer, though, are considerably less expensive than those in our B&W printers.

Our students get $16 credits each quarter to cover the first 200 B&W, 64 colour or whatever mix. Photocopies are handled by the same ID card and are also 8 cents. We don't offer colour copiers.

AFAIK, we have not broken even on printing when you factor in the systems, support & supplies. We really implemented this to cut down on waste, not to make money.

We use Pharos Uniprint to control all of this...

HTH,
David

David Jones                                     mailto:djones at scu.edu
Library Systems Manager                  http://www.scu.edu/library/
University Library                               fax:   408-551-1805
Santa Clara University                            phone: 408-551-7167
500 El Camino Real
Santa Clara CA 95053-0500