[Web4lib] Federated search products and Full Text/PeerReviewlimiting

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Mon Apr 24 10:24:08 EDT 2006

As intrigued as I am about this technique, the one downside I see is
that when you resolve OpenURLs this way, you cannot provide a link
directly to the full-text. That is, the user will still need to click
through the OpenURL resolver window, since the link on the page will
have already been constructed and delivered to the user BEFORE the
OpenURL is resolved. So that for me is an interesting trade-off:
either you resolve before you put the results up for the user, and
potentially get rid of an additional click and a resolver menu for
the user to puzzle over, but suffer any speed consequences there may
be, or you put the results up faster but then force the user to go
through the resolver menu. The only way around this I can see is if
your OpenURL resolver would automatically route the user to full-text
if it's available without putting up a resolver menu. We are not
presently doing this, and I'm not sure who is. So, apparently we must
pick our poison, which is becoming a common refrain for those of us
involved with constructing metasearch services.
Roy