[Web4lib] sip authentication

Maurice York maurice.york at emory.edu
Thu Apr 20 11:15:07 EDT 2006

I'm not certain about a full list of vendors who support NCIP either, but I
can say that several major ILS vendors have functioning NCIP servers. I
haven't yet seen one who has implemented the fulll protocol , but I know of
several who have partial implementations of the basic/essential functions.
The list in my head includes ILS vendors with servers as well as a number of
third-party vendors who have built clients, including some vendors of
PC-reservation systems as well as print management. Without any attempt at
giving a complete list, and meaning no slight to anyone, SirsiDynix and
Endeavor both have NCIP servers, and SirsiDynix has an NCIP Partner
certification program (similar to their SIP2 certification program) that has
several third-party vendors with clients listed (just Google "NCIP library
vendors"). Some companies who shall remain nameless have predicted the death
of NCIP and the impossibility of it ever being adopted, but the existence of
several live implementations in both academic and public libraries I think
puts that statement in doubt. NCIP is also one of the top technologies for
the VIEWS consortium of vendors interested in promoting new web services and
technologies (http://www.views-consortia.org/), which just got its start
(last year?) and seems to be moving on increasing momentum (slowly but
surely).

-Maurice